This snack is so delicious and even though the traditional recipe is a beef filling, thankfully in Jamaica they sell vegan versions. So if you are ever in Jamaica or pass by a Jamaican bakery, restaurant or take-away, try a Jamaican pattie. However you can have a go at making your own using my recipe below. You can make standard sized ones or mini ones that are great for parties.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 -30 minutes
Serves: makes 7 Patties
- 250g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 125g cold margarine or butter cut into cubes
- 5-6 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 500g soya mince (pre-soaked if the dried variety or defrosted if the frozen variety)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small (2 inches) piece of ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 125ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C / Gas mark 4
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour into a large bowl.
- Add salt and turmeric.
- Grate the frozen butter into the flour and crumble in with your fingers.
- Add the cold water and knead to make a dough (the texture will be like bread crumbs).
- To make the filling, heat the oil and add onions, garlic, ginger, and mince. Cook until the mince is browned.
- Add curry powder, thyme, paprika, salt and black pepper and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a further 3-5 minutes until tomatoes have softened.
- Stir in the wholemeal breadcrumbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and stock cube and simmer for approx 1/2 hour.
- You should end up with a fairly thick stew.
- Allow to cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface.
- Using a small saucer, place on the dough and cut around to create a circle shape.
- Put approx 1-2 teaspoon of the filling onto the pastry circle covering less than half the circle.
- Fold the pastry circle in half and press down the edges with a fork.
- You should now have half a semi circle shape.
- Prick the patties with a fork (2 -3 times) to allow the steam to escape.
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7984306