Callaloo is a type of soup made in Trinidad and Tobago, although many Trinidadians consider it a side dish. It’s usually served on the table for the traditional Sunday meal.
• 2 Large Tins Callaloo (drained) or fresh Spinach(500g)and greens(500g) – chopped
• 125g or 12 pieces Okra – chopped
• 400ml Tin of Coconut milk
• 1 Large onion – finely chopped
• 1 lLarge/medium Scotch bonnet pepper
• 3 Cloves of Garlic – chopped
• Sprig of thyme
• 1 Tablespoon Tamari or soya sauce
• Pink Salt or Sea Salt to taste
• 1 Teaspoon black pepper
• 1 Tablespoon coconut oil – for cooking
Heat oil and Sauté the onions, garlic, okra in a deep medium pan for a few minutes, then add the callaloo, ( or spinach and greens) mix well. Then add tamari sauce, stock cube, scotch bonnet pepper ( whole) and seasoning, stir well. Add coconut milk and thyme. Mix and cover the pan and simmer for 15 to 20mins.
Remove the hot pepper (make sure not to split) and thyme, Use a hand blender to puree the mixture. Taste and adjust by adding salt if necessary.